Sorry folks – busy at the Masters this week – late coverage coming for Champ League tomorrow online.
Champions League Elite 8 Tues/Wed
Wed gives us Man City and Atletico on CBS along with Liverpool hosting Benefica at 3 pm on Para+, while Chelsea and Pulisic will travel to Real Madrid on Tues at 3 pm on CBS along with Villarreal going to Bayern Munich. Must watch TV – I assume at least 1 game per day will be on CBS.
BIG GAMES ON TV
(American’s in parenthesis)
Sat, Apr 9
10 am USA Chelsea (Pulisic) vs Brentford
10 am CNBC Wolverhampton vs Aston Villa
10 am Peacock Leeds United vs Southampton
12:30 pm Peacock Man United vvs Leicester City
5:30 pm FOX USA Women vs Ubekistan
7;30 pm FOX LAFC vs LA Galaxy El Traffico
8:30 am ESPN+ Indy 11 @ Rio Grande
9 am USA Norwich (Stewart) vs Burnley
9 am Peakcokc Leicester City vs Crystal Palace
11:30 am USA Liverpool vs Man City
1;30 pm Fox Charolotte FC vs Atlana United
4:30 pm Fox Sport 1 Atlanta United vs Charlotte
Tues, apr 5– Champ League
3 pm CBS Chelsea (Pulisic) @ Real Madrid
3 pm Paramount+ Villarreal @ Bayern Munich
Wed, apr 4–13 Champ League
3 pm CBS Man City vs Atletico Madrid
4 pm Paramount+ Benefica vs Liverpool
USMNT weekend viewing guide: Relegation battles galore
Across Europe, USMNT players in action look to make a push out of relegation zones
Wolfsburg v Arminia Bielefeld – 9:30a on ESPN+
Currently sitting in the relegation playoff position, tied on points with 17th place Hertha Berlin and one point back of Stuttgart and safety, George Bello and Arminia Bielefeld will face John Brooks and a Wolfsburg side that are themselves just five points out of relegation. It’s been a rough season for Bielefeld who narrowly avoided relegation last year as well. The drop has been more precipitous for Wolfsburg who entered the season as one of the Bundesliga’s Champions League representatives and now are struggling to finish above the relegation fray. This season will be John Brooks’ final run with the club, but Kevin Paredes will be with the team next year if that impacts your rooting decisions for this one.
- Christian Pulisic and Chelsea FC look to bounce back from their midweek loss to Real Madrid in Champions League play when they face Southampton at 10a on USA Network. Chelsea also lost last weekend 4-1 to Brentford and need to avoid additional mistakes if they are going to hold of Tottenham and Arsenal FC for Champions League qualification.
- Orlando City SC and the Chicago Fire face off at 1p on Univision and Twitter. Gaga Slonina will be in next for the Fire and has an outside shot at making the 2022 World Cup roster.
- Inter Miami and DeAndre Yedlin face the New England Revolution and Matt Turner, who remains questionable due to injury. This match will kick off at 3p on ESPN.
- The latest battle for LA kicks off at 7:30p on Fox with Kellyn Acosta and LAFC taking on the LA Galaxy.
- Ricardo Pepi and Augsburg have won four straight matches and now sit in 13th place, six points out of relegation. Things will be quite a bit tougher this weekend as they face Bayern Munich at 9:30a on ESPN+.
- Julian Green, Timothy Tillman and Greuther Fürth face Joe Scally and Borussia Mönchengladbach at 9:30a on ESPN+. Fürth are all but mathematically relegated ,while ‘Gladbach currently sit in 12th place.
- Jesse Marsch and Leeds United continue their push for safety when they face Watford at 10a on Peacock. Leeds have a six point lead over Burnley for 18th (and relegation), but Burnley and Everton both have two games in hand. Watford currently trail Everton by three points.
MLS matchups (all on ESPN+):
- The New York Red Bulls and Caden Clark face Djordje Mihailovic and Montreal at 4p.
- New York City FC and DC United kick off at 5p. NYCFC has a handful of fringe and former-fringe USMNT players, while DC United has a couple younger guys to keep an eye on for the future along with goalkeeper Bill Hamid.
- The Philadelphia Union and Columbus Crew start up at 6p. Gyasi Zardes received his first start of the season last weekend.
- Real Salt Lake and Bobby Wood take on Bob and Michael Bradley and Toronto FC at 8p.
- Jesús Ferreira, Paul Arriola, and FC Dallas face the Colorado Rapids at 8:30p.
- The Houston Dynamo take on the San Jose Earthquakes and Cade Cowell at 8:30p.
- Sporting Kansas City face Walker Zimmermann and Nashville SC at 8:30p.
- Jordan Morris, Cristian Roldan and the Seattle Sounders take on FC Cincinnati at 10p.
- The Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers also kick off at 10p.
Norwich City v Burnley – 9a on USA
Norwich City and Burnley kick things off Sunday morning in a relegation match that is probably one of the last chances you’ll have to catch Josh Sargent in the EPL for the next year and a half. Norwich sit bottom of the table with just 18 points and seven points out of safety with 8 matches to play, so relegation seems like a formality at this point. Perhaps this weekend’s match against Burnley will be an opportunity to see how Sargent will fare against Championship sides. Burnley are in 18th and also currently sit in the relegation zone. They are just one point back of Everton and, as was mentioned previously, they have two games in hand compared to Leeds, who they trail by five points. Burnley come into this one with quite a bit to play for, as a loss to Norwich would be devastating. This has all the makings of an ugly match. Enjoy!
- Charlotte FC take on Miles Robinson and Atlanta United 1:30p on ABC in what is already the second match between the two clubs just six games into the season. Atlanta won the first match just a month ago.
- Austin FC take on Minnesota United at 7:30p on FS1 in the weekend finale.
- Matt Miazga and Deportivo Alaves take on Osasuna at 8a on ESPN+. Miazga has not made it off the bench in the last five matches for the relegation bound Alaves side.
- Eric Palmer-Brown and Troyes face Monaco at 9a on beIN Sports.
- Timothy Weah’s Lille side take on Angers at 9a on beIN Sports as well. Weah missed last weekend’s draw with Bordeaux due to a suspension from a ridiculous red card he was shown.
- Gianluca Busio, Tanner Tessmann, and Venezia are three points back of safety as they go to face Udinese at 9a on Paramount+.
- Timothy Chandler and Eintracht Frankfurt face Freiburg at 11:30a on ESPN+.
- Tyler Adams has missed RB Leipzig’s past two matches, but has returned to the squad ahead of the matchup with Chris Richards and Hoffenheim at 1:30p on ESPN+. Leipzig have made a push back into the Champions League qualifying positions and lead Freiburg by three points and Hoffenheim by four.
- Sergiño Dest did not travel with FC Barcelona for the Europa League matchup with Eintracht Frankfurt. The club now face Levante at 3p on ESPN+.